- What time does the film start?
As the sun sets at different times in our various locations we cannot predict what time we’ll start the film exactly but gates open at 6pm (except Auckland where they open at 7pm) so come down early for sunset drinks, food and live music (weekends only) and enjoy the great outdoors! If you can’t make it for 6pm, we recommend checking what time the sun sets in your location, as the film will start within a 10-15 minute of its respective time.
- Wet Weather Policy
American Express Openair Cinemas is an all-weather outdoor event. All screenings will proceed in rain, wind or shine – unless weather conditions pose a serious risk to the safety of patrons and staff. Complimentary ponchos will be handed out if it rains.
In the event of cancellation, details will be communicated to ticket holders via email/sms by 5pm. Ticket holders will have the ability to reschedule their tickets to an alternative screening using the unique code provided in the cancellation email.
- I’d like to make a group/function booking
We thank you for your interest in booking a function with us, and would be delighted to help you plan your evening under the stars.
To receive further information about holding a function at American Express Openair Cinemas, please contact [email protected] and a member of our team will be in touch with you soon.
- I can’t go anymore
Tickets are transferable and of course, gift-able (name change is not required). To transfer your tickets to another screening, please contact [email protected] to let us know which session you wish to attend (date and film), and a customer service representative will be in touch with you.
- Do you accept Companion Cards?
Yes. If you are a Companion Cardholder, admission to the event is free. Please show your card at the box office upon arrival to receive your General Admission ticket.*
*Only applies to General Admission tickets.
- I’m under 18, can I still attend the event?
American Express Openair Cinemas are a fully-licensed venue, patrons under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
- Child and Concession Policy
- Children aged 0-4 years can attend FREE with a paying adult for all screenings.
- Children aged 5 and over will require a ticket to gain entry.
A patron must have the appropriate form of concession to purchase a concession ticket. The following are accepted forms of concession for the purchase of tickets:
- Children aged 5-14
- Student cards
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Department of Veteran Affairs Health Card and TPI
- Health Care card
- Companion Card
- Can I show my tickets on my phone to gain admission?
Yes, we encourage it! Use your smartphone to display your ticket to our friendly gate staff to gain entry into the event.
- What should I do if I don’t receive my tickets?
Ensure you have checked both your spam and junk mail folders for the email with your tickets enclosed. If you do not receive your tickets via email, you can reach out to us at [email protected] and we can resend your tickets. If you do not receive a response in time before the event, our friendly gate staff can search your booking details upon arrival.
- Can I buy tickets at the gate upon arrival?
Yes. All ticket types are available for purchase at the gate. Note, as capacity is limited so we recommend purchasing your tickets online in advance.
- The name on the ticket does not match the attendee’s name. Is that okay?
Yes. As long as the patron arrives with a valid ticket, they will be permitted entry.
- What fees and taxes will I be charged when booking tickets?
A Payment Processing Fee of 1.75% per booking + and an Administration Fee of $1.00 + 1.5% applies per ticket, which is inclusive of GST (subject to change).
- What’s included in the American Express Lounge ticket?
Enjoy the full VIP experience in the exclusive American Express Lounge, complete with table service, a bean lounger, cushion, blanket, Haagen-Dazs ice-cream, fresh popcorn and a glass of Giesen wine or non-alcoholic beverage.
- What’s included in the Prime Video Lounge ticket?
Prime Video Lounge tickets include a reserved lounger, blanket hire, wait service straight to your seat and a glass of Giesen wine or non-alcoholic beverage. Tickets are reserved but non-allocated, you are guaranteed a seat in Prime Video Lounge but seating is on a first in, first served basis.
- What’s included in a General Admission ticket?
A general admission ticket (or general concession ticket) gives you access to the site but does not include seating, perfect if you’re going picnic style!
If you would like to add a little comfort to your evening, you can hire one of a lounger, bring your own seating or upgrade to the Prime Video Lounge or American Express Lounge (Card Members only).
- What payment options are available at the event?
American Express Openair Cinemas is an entirely cashless event. Cards accepted include American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
- Can I bring my own food and drink?
Yes. All patrons are permitted to bring along food and drink to the event. Note alcohol, knives, and glass items are strictly prohibited.
- Do you have gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan options?
Yes. All American Express Openair Cinemas food vendors have a selection of vegetarian (V), gluten-free (GF) and vegan (VG) options available. Please refer to the ‘Food & Drink’ page for further information.
If you have any food allergies, please inform/ask a member of staff at the event who will advise of all ingredients used.
- Can we purchase food and drinks at the event?
Of course! A wide range of food and beverages are available for purchase at the event. You can also save by purchasing a food combo ahead of time online. Vendors vary per location*
(Note, food combos do not include admission).
- Can I take photos at the event?
Of course! We invite you to take as many photos as you like and share your snaps with us on Instagram and tag #openaircinemas.
- Can I smoke or vape at the event?
No, American Express Openair Cinemas are smoke-free venues. As your wristband allows you to walk in-and-out freely, please head outside the venue to smoke or vape.
- Are dogs allowed to all screenings?
Yes! We openly welcome well-behaved dogs in all locations. Please ensure your dog is kept on a short leash at all times, and are cleaned-up after as required . Should a dog behave unruly, and affect the enjoyment of other patrons, our Site Manager may intervene and if necessary, request that the owner and dog leave the premises.
- Is this an accessible event?
Yes, American Express Openair Cinemas offers wheelchair accessible facilities onsite, as well as designated parking located close to the entrance of the event. Complimentary carer/companion GA tickets are also available. For further information about your location, please contact us directly at [email protected]
- Can I use my umbrella during the screening?
To ensure the best viewing experience for all patrons, unfortunately umbrellas are not permitted for use during the screening. In the event of rain, complimentary ponchos will be handed out to all patrons. Please refer to the Wet Weather Policy for further information.
- Is seating allocated?
Seating is not allocated or reserved in advance and is given on a first-come, first-served basis per ticket type. Our onsite staff will be available to assist you in finding a suitable seating area for you, and your group.
- Can I bring my own seating?
Yes. You are permitted to bring along picnic blankets or chairs to the event in all locations. If you wish to bring a high camping chair, our onsite staff will be available to assist you in finding a suitable seating area out of obstruction of the screen.
Please note, General Admission tickets do not include seating. Air loungers and bean-bags cannot be moved from their allocated area.
- What should I bring?
- Your ticket – this can be found in your email inbox. Print it out or have the PDF ready on your phone. If you cannot locate your ticket, our friendly gate staff can assist you in finding your name in our system upon arrival.
- Photo ID – American Express Openair Cinemas is a fully-licensed venue, and you may be asked for ID upon arrival and at The Bar
- Credit card – American Express Openair Cinemas is an entirely cashless event. You will need a valid Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit, debit or EFTPOS card to purchase food and drinks onsite using Square PayWave
- Mosquito repellent
- Something warm – We recommend bringing along warm clothing as it can get pretty cold once the sun goes down. All patrons are also welcome to bring pillows and blankets or hire them at The Bar for $5